Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Haiti - Wednesday, Feb 3

Got these two email from Janice today. If you could, please pray that God gets her cell phone working. She has a Blackberry but they can't figure out how to get it working. You'll see in the email messages below, she's a little frustrated that she has to keep borrowing phones from everyone else.

This first message was sent last night (Feb 3) but didn't get here until today:

It really was a good day. I am so thankful that I am feeling better. I am thankful that I am here. Tomorrow we go back to the same place. In a few days we will be going to a village and things there I think will be much worse. I love u all. Tell Jack and Joey the army is setting up a big inflatable screen to watch the Superbowl.

This one came earlier this evening:

OK I have time to write and not be rushed...I hope.

I have been sleeping well except that I am really hot at night. That is a yucky feeling. In the morning it is actually cool. At night I just get hot in my bag. I get up, wash up and eat a granola bar or 2. We pack the bins, the truck and cram into a tiny pickup truck and drive an hour to our spot, set up then we see the patients. Most have chronic issues, a few related to the earthquake. One case was so so sad today. A mom brought in twins. Nowhere the same size. One was about max 12lbs and the other one was max 5 lbs. They were 4 months old. The tiny one looked like one of Molly's dolls. We paid her way to take a cab to a local hospital. I don't think she was understanding the urgency. She was very sad. The baby most likely has a heart defect from birth. That was the worst today.

The other half of our team just arrived today. It will take a bit to adjust to the new folks, but I am sure it will be fine.

I am a bit jealous the I can't text all the time. Tomorrow we will be going 3 hours away and staying there a few days. We will be leaving our "Ritz Carlton" place and tenting it. I love and miss u all. Tons of stuff in my head and swirling around but hard to put it down. Love you.

And this note was texted to me from my friend Nate who is leading the trip. It was his reply to a text I sent him:

She is doing awesome bro. She knows her stuff, works hard without complaining, and is joyful!

Keep praying!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My eyes are full of tears.....
Love that Janice!!! God bless her!!!

Aunt Eva and Uncle George

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updates, Jay. I can't even imagine what Janice is seeing every day, all day...it has to be totally heartbreaking. But, on the other hand, I'm so glad she's able to be there helping (especially when we are here feeling very helpless). It sounds like they are doing as well as can be expected under the circumstances, and are just being Jesus' hands and feet everywhere they go! Very cool.

We've been praying for you, Janice, and your team, and the people of Haiti! God bless you as you move locations tomorrow. Keep up the good work and positive attitude - you're a blessing!

Gwen DeVries

George said...

Thanks for the updates

marie said...

Thank you for the updates...moving and inspiring.

Keeping you all in our prayers.

Blessings, Maruchi

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updates. Prayin that God will continue to carry you all!

Anonymous said...

Last message from the Buths.